Fixing Flash Issues in Ubuntu Karmic 9.10
[tweetmeme service=”bit.ly” source=”LeisureHoursWP” ]
Flash does not work fine by default in Ubuntu Karmic and creates a lot of problems. This can be fixed by installing official flash from Adobe.com
- First of all , uninstall any existing flash packages. Otherwise they will clash with this package. You might have gnash / swfdec / adobe plugins installed earlier. So remove them before trying this.
$ sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-installer flashplugin-nonfree mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla
- Go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ . It has a menu which asks version to download . Select ‘ tar.gz for Linux ‘ package and download.
- Extract the files of this tar package
$ tar -xvf install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz
- It contains a file libflashplayer.so.
Copy this file to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (Note – firefox should be closed while doing this )
$ sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
- Start firefox and type ‘ about:plugins ‘ in address bar to check if the flash plugin is installed properly.
It will show an entry for
- File name: libflashplayer.so
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45
- Thats all. Flash is working fine on karmic now.